French TV show "Le Jour du Seigneur"* goes for HD, with an open and interoperable MXF H264 High 4:2:2 Intra conservation format. The CFRT who produces this show, which is the oldest of French TV (1949), has been using an Opsomai platform since 2010, in order to manage and leverage the value of its archives as well as its current productions. In 2013, the CFRT decided to upgrade its archive system towards HD support, along with its production facilities. The CFRT Technical Department was looking for a non-proprietary conservation format that will ensure very high quality, without requesting proprietary hardware to be generated, and that could be read by major video readers and transcoding software products. Opsomai carried out a study to answer this need, and proposed a MXF format based on the High 4:2:2 Intra profile of the H264 codec, with the help of Baptiste Coudurier who is in charge of the ffmbc project (https://code.google.com/p/ffmbc/). This format fulfilled all the CFRT requirements, with an average bandwidth of 100 Mb/s for HD and 30 Mb/s for SD.
The new CFRT platform, which has been provided and integrated by Opsomai, is now fully operational, with he following characteristics:
• 2 Prores HQ ingest channels, thanks to one Telestream Pipeline HD Dual
• MXF H264 conservation files generation from ingested files with a cluster of 2 ffmbc servers
• Quality Control on SDI monitors through Pipeline SDI outputs
• Multi-format delivery, including Avid DNxHD for in-house production facilities, thanks to the transcoding cluster
• Global Workflows control by Opsis Media MAM
* "The Day of The Lord", every Sunday from 10:30 to 12:00 on the French national DTTV channel France 2